House of Correction
(Swanston St, Melbourne)
Previously a secondary overflow space for the rooftop bar upstairs, the design for House of Correction uses the building’s past to inform the execution of the interior space. Situated in Denyer’s Building, designed by Architect HW&FB Tompkins, and constructed in 1914, the building had a colourful history as a medical merchant of human skeletons, and in later years as a pornographic cinema. The design strips the interior back to the shell, allowing the exposure of the original ceiling, floor and walls.